What are the 3-digit numbers on bus windscreens for?

Hier kun je terecht met al je vragen over het openbaar vervoer, ook als je (nog) geen account op OVNL hebt. Bedenk je wel dat wij een forum met hobbyisten zijn en we geen banden hebben met OV bedrijven.
tungsram

What are the 3-digit numbers on bus windscreens for?

Bericht door tungsram »

Hello.
I apologize if my question is common sense or previously discussed, but as I don't speak Dutch it's difficult for me to find an answer.
I noticed that many buses have a small 3-digit number in the lower right corner of their windscreens. I have been wondering for a while what these numbers are for.

For example on this Syntus bus the number is set to 028:
Afbeelding

Kind regards.
Daniel
OVNL-bestuurslid
Contacteer:

Re: What are the 3-digit numbers on bus windscreens for?

Bericht door Daniel »

These numbers are the so-called "omloopnummers", the number of the circulation of various bus lines this bus is working during the day. Displaying these numbers behind the windscreen is for example useful when one driver leaves a bus at a big terminus to have his break and another driver has to take the specific bus with him to continue his shift. The number then serves as a tool to identify which of multiple parked buses the new driver has to continue his shift with, as the drivers also are able to see the "omloopnummer" on their paperwork showing the routes and departure times contained in their shift.
Schapekop in de Keistad
Dagelijks Amersfoort - Veenendaal-De Klomp en weer terug...

Mijn foto's: https://www.flickr.com/dbleumink/
thejay

Bericht door thejay »

tungsram schreef:Hello.
I apologize if my question is common sense or previously discussed, but as I don't speak Dutch it's difficult for me to find an answer.
I noticed that many buses have a small 3-digit number in the lower right corner of their windscreens. I have been wondering for a while what these numbers are for.
in 99% of all cases this is the Block number: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_(transport)
Maybe some companies use the duty number or duty number might be equal to the block number.
tungsram

Bericht door tungsram »

Thank you for the responses. So, if I understood correctly, the omloopnummer stands for a specific sequence of trips that a single bus takes during the day?
Aking

Bericht door Aking »

Yes :Y
And as the driver might change during the day, this number helps the driver to find the right bus.
dennistd

Bericht door dennistd »

An old shift as example:

Afbeelding

First you have to take 'omloop' 491, which is a normal car from the garage to the station. At the station you park the car and go to the bus on line 50, which has 'omloop' 408. The 30 in front of it is to make this number unique. All 'omlopen' in Twente when this old shift was used started with '30', while all in Veluwe for example were 20xxx and on Saturdays in Overijssel were 41xxx. But at one day in one region the last three are unique.

With this number in the board computer the bus knows which line and destination is the next one. It switches automatically the displays to the correct destination and all that stuff. But why the 'omloop'-number is also shown on the outside of the bus you see at 16.09h. You have to take a bus from the 'Buffer', which is the parking space for busses at the station. Without having the 'omloop' visible from outside, you have to go inside every bus, login on the computer and that until you find the right one.

So this number is normally only useful to the drivers, to quickly find the bus they need.

My English is bad, I know :@
tungsram

Bericht door tungsram »

Thanks, this schedule was an interesting read.
I noticed that the driver has to drive continuously for a long period of time and then he/she has a longer break. Is this how breaks are generally scheduled in the Netherlands? In my city drivers have shorter breaks (5-10 mins) at the end of every trip or once every two trips. Also, is the schedule the same every day? Would you have the same sequence 408, 405, 409 every day?

I noticed that GVB buses for example don't have the omloopnummer on the windshield, in this case how does the driver know which bus to take?

PS. Your English is fine!
dennistd

Bericht door dennistd »

In shifts of 4 hours or more there has to be one break of at least 15 minutes. When a shift is longer than 5½ hours a break of at least 30 minutes is mandatory, but it's allowed to split this one in two breaks of at least 15 minutes.

The shifts are the same on weekdays, but on saturdays and sundays there are different shifts, because the timetable also isn't the same. But most drivers work different shifts every day, so maybe you have the same shift one a month of so.

As far as I know at GVB a bus and driver never changes line in a shift, so it's easier (but a lot less attractive to work).
Suus
Contacteer:

Bericht door Suus »

Some bus drivers at GVB do change line during their shift and multiple lines are connected to each other (like 44-47-66)

GVB uses displays in the break room, that show the vehicle shift number and the bus attached to it. Also, each vehicle has his own schedule which is put in the bus before leaving the garage (with different colors for different days), so drivers can check if their shift commensurate with the bus schedule.
Raadpleeg de praktische modaliteiten staande op de achterzijde van dit bericht voor het indienen van een reactie.
Plaats reactie